Speaking of Dampp-Chaser

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 20 09:12:50 MST 2007

While we're trolling bad puns past Dampp-Chasers and getting
entirely too many bites, I have something less fishy (maybe)
concerning pianos with D-Cs.

Here's the deal. Yamaha P-22s in church "classrooms", each
with a full D-C installation and floor length cover. These
things are Sooooo much more stable since the D-C installations
(and eventual owner education as to the need to water them
occasionally), but other interesting repercussions arise. When
I take the cover off, and hopefully don't find both water and
pad lights blinking like I did every time during the first two
years, a great cloud of warm moist air billows up out of the
piano when I lift the lid. It's at least 10°F warmer in the
piano than the room temperature. Removing the front board lets
the cooler air get to the strings, and I get to wait about 15
minutes before everything settles down enough to tune it, or I
chase the temperament back and forth for 15 minutes anyway.
This happens in the grands too, but not as dramatically. So
what I typically do is to start with the grand in the
sanctuary. I remove the cover and prop the lid up, then go
remove the cover and open the lid of one of the P-22s. By the
time I get back and get the grand strip muted, it's mostly
calmed down enough to tune. When I'm done with the grand, I
close and cover it, and go remove another cover and raise the
lid of the next P-22, then go tune piano #2 while #3 is
blowing off steam.

While this effect is extreme when the pianos are covered to
the floor, it's also noticeable in pianos with D-C systems
without covers. I don't recall this ever coming up on the list
before, though it probably should have a dozen times unless
it's just a local anomaly of my personal universe. And yes,
it's still far better than without D-Cs, but I wonder what the
folks using these pianos hear when they pull the covers off
and start playing.

I'm an aural tuner, used to fudging and blending rather than
calculating and interpolating, so it's just a nuisance to me.
What do you state of the art three decimal ETD users do with
these, or do you just start at A-0 and the strings have
settled down by the time you get past the bichords?

Curious,
Ron N