My first tuning attempt

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Sat Jan 20 18:53:23 MST 2007

I really hate the MusicMatch Jukebox! It never seems to work!

At 09:19 PM 1/19/2007, you wrote:
>I had my first tuning lesson today - very enjoyable. Mr. Coleman is
>a great instructor and one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. He
>showed me how to tune unisons in the middle octave and how to take
>inharmonicity readings in Tunelab.
>
>After that I went over to my church to practice tuning unisons on
>the old spinet that nobody uses, and I got a bit carried away. I
>ended up tuning the whole piano. It took about 3 hours, and I found
>the highest octave to be very challenging, but I started to get the
>hang of it (I think).
>
>I decided to make audio recordings of the piano before and after
>tuning so I could compare. I think I did okay for a first try, but
>I'd appreciate any advice or pointers on what I did wrong, etc. The
>whole piano was a little flat and I did not use overpull. I started
>at A0 and went up in order, so that may be why the lower octaves
>seem a little off from the higher octaves.

Mark, I "think" Jim would agree with me, but learn to tune using the
temperament octave as your base and then work out from there! Then
you can check 3rd's, 10th's progression, etc. The only time I start
at A0 is when I'm doing a pitch raise! And that's only with my SAT
III. Of course, I was an aural tuner for 25+ yrs. before I started
using an ETD!

Avery Todd
University of Houston