My first tuning attempt

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 08:19:11 MST 2007

Mark,

Great playing!  Always loved the c major etude, and never could play it.

Tuning from A0 to c88 works in most cases, but I don't think it gives the ideal tuning to suit the ear in all situations, particularly at the bass-tenor break.

Learning to tune aurally is essential if you plan to tune professionally.  There are times when, for whatever reason, your device fails you.  When I had my ETD take an unscheduled swim one afternoon, and was left with an ear and a tuning fork, I was relieved that I had reasonably good aural skills.  When this, or something like it happens, being able to do an acceptable tuning without the aid of electronics is crucial.

In all but the most hurried and stressful/noisy situations, even if I use Tunelab for much of the piano, I always check and make corrections by ear.

Dave Stahl