My first tuning attempt

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 11:28:47 MST 2007

Dave Stahl writes:
When I had my ETD take an unscheduled swim one afternoon, and was left with
an ear and a tuning fork, I was relieved that I had reasonably good aural
skills.
Yeah, I closed my car console door on my PDA [Insert expensive crunch here].
There is at least one other good reason to emulate aural tuning patterns, at
least on the fine tuning:

I don't know if it's the microphone on my PDA or what, but sometimes my
Pocket CyberTuner suggests a completely unusable tuning, often enough that I almost
always tune A4-A3-A2 first, check octaves and double octaves aurally to make
sure the spread is right, then contiguous thirds at least F3-A3-C#4-F4-A4. If
everything is okay, then I fill in the rest of the temperament, and spread
both ways from there. I also keep aural track as I go up and down. One could do
that, at least above the temperament, on the A0-->C7 tuning, but you don't get
a good check on the basics until way too far into the tuning.

Bob Davis