Preventing hearing loss

Mark Purney engineering at raktron.com
Mon Jan 22 07:46:39 MST 2007

I'm curious what people do, if anything, to protect hearing while tuning
pianos. I'm sure your ears probably get used to the sound over time, but
the sound levels from my first tuning practice made me uncomfortable,
gave me a slight headache, and I noticed that certain notes were almost
painful to my ears.

I immediately thought about using closed-back headphones with some sort
of microphone setup. This would block most direct sound, while providing
an accurate signal with adjustable volume. Depending on the mic pattern,
it might even help to reduce surrounding noises. With some EQ, it might
even be possible to enhance the partials while attenuating the
fundamental when listening for beats. The problem is that it's no fun to
wear large headphones all day.

I did some searching and found out about these special "Musician's" ear
plugs that attenuate all frequencies evenly.  This seems to be an ideal
solution, although expensive. They aren't cheap, and require custom
fitting by an audiologist:
http://www.hearnet.com/images_site/erme_brochure.pdf