Sunday ramblings

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Mon Jan 22 10:06:25 MST 2007

Hi Ron,

So be the first to install with bottom covers (and Edwards string covers)
and back covers. Also add a "howler" (i.e. when unit is unplugged it
buzzes) to the install. Charge top dollar and go for the high end. As you
already do in all other areas! I have many clients with DC units that are
properly maintained. It has been well over a year since I came across an
unplugged dc unit (touch wood).

I understand the Edward's string covers can be "peeled back" far enough to
just expose the tuning pins--making waiting before tuning unnecessary.

At 09:07 AM 1/22/2007 -0600, you wrote:

>So I hear, and it would certainly be a welcome change from
>what I'm used to. Heck, I've *always* been willing to be
>spoiled. But I've not sold, nor even seen locally, a D-C
>installation with either back or bottom cover. In the unlikely
>event that there is a D-C at all, and it is against all odds
>still plugged in and has water in the tank, the over the top
>cover just means I get to wait for the strings to settle down
>from the temperature difference before I can tune it, and the
>low tenors are still out by more than 4c at that.
>

>Just for the record, I think the D-C system is terrific. The
>problems tend to be associated with the willingness of the
>piano owners to spend the time, money, and brain cells to
>listen to the education attempts, see the value of the system,
>and be willing to spend the money to install it and the time
>maintaining it. I don't think I've tuned a D-C equipped piano
>that I haven't at least once found unplugged or dry. For too
>many of them, this is the expected condition. For the most
>part, I find people will more likely put up with 10c-20c pitch
>changes twice a year and suffer the result than to buy a
>humidity control system that they have to maintain in any way.
>I don't get it, but that's what I find here. The other side of
>that is those who have purchased the system, and can't seem to
>grasp the concept of how it works, despite repeated
>description/quiz attempts. They seem to think the unit
>contains tuning, and is to be plugged in only to refill the
>piano when the tuning gets "noticeably" rough or they receive
>some sort of cosmic vibe telling them it's time. And those
>lights are blinking again, but they still don't know what that
>means - if they notice, or don't unplug it to make the lights
>stop. Surely all these people don't work at the DMV, but maybe
>so. Again, I don't get it.
>Ron N
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7