Subject: Re: My first tuning attempt

centipod at mac.com centipod at mac.com
Mon Jan 22 16:03:16 MST 2007

David,

For me, using the ETD device (in my case Reyburn Cybertuner) allows
for a very interesting and helpful extension of my senses into the
visual (and I suppose the abstract mathematical, ie. computing)
realm. I tuned strictly aurally for 17 years, and I didn't stop
listening when I  incorporated the computer into my tuning. It
facilitates a certain kind of optimized focus of my energies, and
increased productivity and consistency. It provides certain checks
and balances - an outside arbitrator, so to speak, whose advice I can
either agree with or override. I don't have to re-invent the wheel so
much every time I tune. I can allow the computer to assist the
process by doing the things it does best, while I do the things I do
best. It injects more feedback into the tuning experience. I've never
looked at it as a "taking away", but rather an adding to. Tuning is
still just as visceral (as well as abstract) an experience as it was
when I was tuning strictly by ear. There's just a different balancing
and managing of priorities.

That's my take on how using the ETD enhances my tunings.

Sincerely,

Allen Wright, RPT

[David wrote:

I can't say, with surety, that what happened with John will, or does,
happen with every aural tuner that makes the switch to mainly ETD
tuning. I sincerely hope not. Because the most precious tool, the
biggest asset, the real payoff in terms of a successful business for
us artisans is our exponentially enhanced ability to listen---and
feel--- in a focused, calm, attentive, relaxed way.

I guess the question I have for all you ETD users is this, and I
would deeply appreciate honesty here: where is your attention when
you tune a piano? Do you listen in a focused, calm, attentive,
relaxed way, giving your self to the world of sound? Or are you "on
automatic," and free to roam through your thoughts, dreams, and
schemes, putting the bulk of your attention on the stream of dialog
in your head?

David Andersen]