My first tuning attempt

BPpiano at aol.com BPpiano at aol.com
Mon Jan 22 17:26:08 MST 2007

Tunelab.  I'm back to aural tuning most of the time.  I only use  Tunelab
when I have to scream through institutional work.  I still find  tuning very
mentally engaging.  I recently took the PTG tuning exam to get  examiner's status.
 It still takes me longer to tune by ear, but I'm  mentally focused.  As far
as pitch raises, I typically use a 50% overpull  after testing A440.  Recently
I've been playing with using a 50% overpull  using a fork with surprisingly
accurate results.
It takes a few minutes longer, but results are very usable.   Here's my
procedure:

1.  I keep my fork in my pant's pocket for consistency's sake  which is very
close to A440.
2.  After determining a pitch raise is needed, I tune F3 beatless to  the
fork.
3.  I tune A3 to the same rate as A4.
4.  I tune A4 to half the beat rate of the A3 .
5.  If not sure of the exact beat rate, I always err on the sharp  side, (duh)

Anybody else tried this?

Bruce Pennington
Colorado Springs