A tenor bridge conversion

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 23 15:20:10 MST 2007

Alan: I completely disagree with you. You are using common sense. You are thinking practically. That's nonsense! Think MARKETING! "Brand X piano is much better than Brand Y because it has a fully functional fallboard (casters, sliding desk, etc.) - Brand X does not". These are things piano shoppers can see and feel. A hockey stick bridge or a well designed string scale that utilizes a transition bridge - naw, it's hidden under the strings - who can even see it? And not that it is difficult to hear the difference - I just don't think many folks are willing to put that much effort into it - besides, it says X&X on the fallboard......

I simply can't, by any stretch of the imagination, buy it that anyone with half an ear would think that a string scale that requires a hockey stick bridge configuration will sound better than a well designed string scale that utilizes a transition bridge. But perhaps that's just me.

Terry Farrell