A tenor bridge conversion

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 23 15:33:24 MST 2007

"I too believe that at least some of the high-end manufacturers didn't choose to use hockey-stick bridges because they wanted to save on a few extra bass strings."

IMHO, not that I don't think most manufacturers are looking to cut costs, but I think the main reason you don't see more notes on the bass bridge is strictly marketing - a smaller bridge with fewer wound strings looks sexier and looks more like a concert grand. I have to agree that some small pianos - like the Baldwin micro grand that Del had a hand in - that have several octaves on the bass bridge have a "clunky" look to them - I don't think they look nearly as sexy as a piano with a smaller bass section - BUT THEY SOUND MUCH BETTER! I think the salesperson can sell a small piano with a small bass bridge more easily because they can point out to the shopper that "this piano is scaled after the famous concert grand, etc., etc."

Terry Farrell