Hearing Loss does it really happen?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Tue Jan 23 15:39:20 MST 2007

Frank,

Your email  is what I have been working towards for years.  When I started
selling the earplugs in 1999, I realized two things about hearing: 1. a lot
of techs have hearing problems and need help, and 2. a lot of our customers
have hearing problems and need help.

It is wonderful to tune, voice and regulate a piano so it sounds and
performs to its highest potential, but what if our hearing starts to
deteriorate, and what if our customers can no longer appreciate the sound of
their beloved instrument?

I had one customer who religiously had her Steinway M tuned
annually--although she hadn't been able to hear it satisfactorily for years.
  It was so frustrating for me, knowing that there was no way I could help
her hear it better. She had hearing aids already and her audiologist
couldn't improve on them sufficiently at the time.  Sadly, her piano playing
was no longer a part of her life.

As piano technicians, we probably know more about sound and hearing it than
99% of the population.  What you did for your customer was to expand your
view of piano service into genuine customer service and as a result your
customer can hear her well tuned piano better--AND her loved ones!

Yours is the first success story I have heard. Congratulations!
Diane

Diane Hofstetter