jack not returning on high treble

Marshall Connolly falcone1132 at tmlp.com
Wed Jan 24 01:10:01 MST 2007

Hi Michelle!
It might be something as simple as the fact that those notes aren't as frequently played as the bass/tenor sections of the piano.  I have a Baldwin "Acrosonic" from the 1970's (shudder at will!!) with the same problem.  It belongs to the forensic pathologist for the U.S. Government and his wife.  Needless to say... even the most intelligent people can have pianos with problems!!.  It came from someone who rarely used the 'little monster', and I am convinced that the piano suffers from a combination of climate, and lack of use.  When butts sit on the jacks over time, they develop a 'dent' in the butt leather, and eventually have to have the tech 'smooth' out the divot which impedes a somewhat weakened jack (and spring) from returning.  This particular  instrument has a damp-chaser rod installed (it lives near the H20) yet "hangs-up" as soon as it is played.  That little 'dent' in the butt leather can be just enough to ruin your day!

I'm sure that there are other folks on the list who could offer advise... This is what my experience with this particular piano has been.  It would seem appropriate that this might be most obvious in the high treble-where most pianos are rarely played by other than 'accomplished' musicians.

Keep trouble-shooting, and remember that time spent 'isolating' and correcting this piano will out-weigh the initial time spent in the trouble-shooting process.  The likelihood is that you'll encounter this problem in the future with another P.S.O.
Wishing you the very best!