Hamburg Steinway, sostenuto - not

Kazuo Yoshizaki matrasimca at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 09:51:11 MST 2007

I learned at school that Claude Montal was the one who invented the
sostenuto, but according to Wikipedia:
The sostenuto was first shown at the  Paris Exhibition of 1844, by
Boisselot and Sons, a Marseille company. French piano builders
Alexandre Francois Debain and Claude Montal  built sostenuto
mechanisms in 1860, and  1862, respectively. These innovative efforts
did not immediately catch on with other piano builders. In 1874,
Albert Steinway perfected and patented the sostenuto pedal.