NAMM Report

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Wed Jan 24 11:35:50 MST 2007

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Jurgen Goering
Sent: January 23, 2007 10:07 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: NAMM Report

Rob, thanks for the interesting report on your trip to the NAMM show.

One small item that I would to add a different opinion about is the question of
action rail material. I don't think that extruded aluminum action rails are
necessarily superior to wooden ones in their various forms, e.g. laminated.
Aluminum can have its problems as well, such as stripped flange screw holes,
unwanted noise and perhaps other issues.

I agree. I have yet to meet the metal rail (of any material and/or
configuration) that I like as well as a simple laminated beech or maple rail.

The laminated rail is stiffer, quieter, at least as stable and is easily
reparable.

Del