Hamburg Steinway (not)

centipod at mac.com centipod at mac.com
Wed Jan 24 15:01:14 MST 2007

Joe and Calin (and now others),

Thanks for your responses to my puzzling encounter; Calin, your
information explains why even though the instrument has no pedal,
there are tabs on the dampers. It's very interesting to me that
American Steinways all have the pedal (at least all the ones I've
encountered) whereas the Europeans considered it optional on smaller
models; it made good sense, probably, considering how few people
playing the smaller pianos probably actually used the sostenuto.

I had heard the Claude Montal origin story myself - glad to have that
fleshed out a bit and updated (or perhaps I should say, back-dated?).

Best regards,

Allen Wright, RPT
London, United Kingdom