Poor Repetition on Drop Action

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Thu Jan 25 00:16:01 MST 2007

Michelle -
I had a few pianos with very similar symptoms.  I checked the wippen
centers as you did and they "checked out fine". After going through a
long list of possibilities, I came back to the wippens.  After
unscrewing one, I found that the pinning was not fine at all.  Yes, the
wippen dropped fairly smartly under its own weight, but there was not
enough force left after overcoming center pin friction to properly
return the key to its rest position. Repinning the wip flanges solved
my problem, except for C88, where the large (front-weighted) keystick
was simply too heavy for a fast key return.  I think I used a lead
weight on that one key.

My lesson learned:"when everything checks out fine and it still doesn't
work, there is perhaps something wrong with the method of checking".

Perhaps it is possible to remove one wippen to physically check the pin
tightness using an offset screwdriver, instead of having to remove the
whole action?  (Otherwise drill through the soundboard from the back
and use a conventional screwdriver! <g> )
Hope this helps.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com

3. I checked the wippen centers by holding the keys down at the back