redrilling plates for 90 deg hitchpins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 25 17:05:17 MST 2007

> Why roll pins? Don't  roll pins have a tendency to deflect?

It depends on the pin diameter, load, and length of the lever.
The pins I'm using aren't as big in diameter as what Baldwin
uses, but they have seemed to be adequately stiff so far.
There's a five foot barely redesigned Fischer grand in the
shop at the moment with these pins, showing what I make to be
three seconds ring time at C-8.

> Is it that they allow greater tolerances for a good fit in what is by necessity
> a questionable drilling procedure?

That's one very good reason. Another is that the string can be
easily adjusted up, as well as down, should a highly unlikely
lapse of judgment occur during the bearing initial setting. A
third is that they can be bought in about any quantity you
want, large or small, rather then the $250 minimum order
Groov-Pin wanted last time I checked.

> Do you drill in the treble/tenor field similarly?

Yup, those I don't relocate.

> One supply note:  WL Fuller (401) 467-2900 will supply and custom grind
> step drills to your specs for very short money, and promptly. They have also
> given me custom points which have no tendency to wander at all
> when starting an angled bridge pin hole.  I can start the angle immedialely
> without intially spotting the hole straight and then angling.
>
> Jim

I'll have a look. Thanks.
Ron N