Aaargh!! Chapter Two ...

Mike McCoy mjmccoy at usa.com
Thu Jan 25 19:03:10 MST 2007

Had a similar issue yesterday as well. New customer 3 days ago, drove up
to a mediocre 2-story that looked like the Clampetts place (before they
struck black gold, Texas tea). Broken, rusted toys, tools, junk all over
the place outside. The woman was dressed in nasty looking stretch
clothes, hair looked it hadn't been washed in a week. Inside we weaved
our way through stacks and stacks of books, magazines, clothes piles and
clothes piles and clothes piles, back to a small, filthy, junk pile 12 x
20 living room to the piano.... a 1980's S&S B, huh, not exactly what I
expected. Tuned it no prob, but it played badly and needed the damper
upstop rail adjusted. She needed to leave so we scheduled that for
today. She got her checkbook from her "purse", (a gallon zip lock bag)
and paid me.
 Today I adjusted the rail and she said her husband wanted me to tune
the piano again, it was too "bright", so I measured it with RCT and
showed her what I was doing, luckily it was right where I left it and
for some reason the unisons were great. She came to her own conclusion
that they were used to it being flat and that they would have to get
used to it being in tune. Finding the B in that mess just floored me!

Mike