A once-in-a lifetime-problem

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 20:28:25 MST 2007

I have a customer with a beautiful Sohmer console from the 1960's, a model
34-96 I believe. He complained
of an echo. When I got there I loosened the nut on  the damper pedal and it
went away.
A few weeks later, he called me with the same problem. I was baffled. What
could possibly be causing
the lost motion to DECREASE in a pedal? It's always the other way around.
When I inspected the trap work closely, I found the answer. The heavy spring on
which the trap lever pivots, shaped like a Sigma, that connects the trap
lever to the piano's floor was slowly breaking from metal fatigue! And as it was
coming apart, the top part of the spring was coming up from the bottom part
of  the spring, thus pushing the pedal rod up, and lifting the dampers off the
strings! Has anybody out there ever seen this problem?

Jesse Gitnik
NYC
In business since 1980