Wurlitzer Grand Action Bracket Issue

Ray T. Bentley ray at bentley.net
Thu Jan 25 16:13:41 MST 2007

Today I found a Wurlitzer Grand G-411 serial number 205XXXX with a
serious action bracket issue.  The left bracket appears to be nearly 1/4
in taller than all the rest.  There are scratches on the underside of
the pinblock where it was forced into the piano, probably at the
factory.  The customer does not recall ever having the action removed.
It is the original owner who purchased it new in the early 90's.

There are issues with the lowest octave and a half which are not
playable.  In order to regulate this piano, the action has to come out,
of course.  I can only move it out about 1 inch or so before the two
last hammer flange screws bind on the underside of the pinblock.  No
amount of reasonable force would move it out.  I tried adjusting the
glide bolt to get it out of the way, but it didn't help.  It looks as if
the wrong size action bracket was installed on the left one.  All the
others are very even, and there is plenty of space for the rest of the
action to clear.

I'm thinking this is one of the pianos made by Young Chang, and have
heard about the expanding brackets in the past on this list.  It does
have a painted finish that is cracked evenly all over.  But this one
just looks to be the wrong size since it apparently was forced into the
piano from the beginning.

Any suggestions as to how the action can be removed short of drastic
measures?  Once I get it out, I can think of ways to fix it.  But
getting it out is the big issue.

Thanks.

Ray

Ray T. Bentley, RPT