absolute pitch

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 09:02:19 MST 2007

>... absolute pitch...perfect pitch...

Misnomers. Ego boosters. Pitch Recognition is a more appropriate term.

But add to that, what pitch center (A = 440, 442, 444?)and what temperament.
String players will want to know <ascending pitch> or <descending pitch>.

Some people have a more acute sense of hearing than others.  Light waves
are frequencies too. Because I can recognize a color...does that mean I have
absolute or perfect sight?

I've read that some people are extra sensitive to certain frequencies or also
can have a drop off of perception at certain frequencies.  For me, G# and D
are less easy to hear.
--

Regards,

Jon Page