Spring cord repair; partial job discovered

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 08:49:22 MST 2007

 It seems like every other grey market Yamaha upright I run into has breaking hammer return spring cords.  I did yet another replacement job yesterday, this time in the customers garage, where temperatures hovered around 50 degrees farenheit all morning.  It's hard to manipulate all those little pieces of thread with numb fingers.  Still, after getting better at the repetitive tasks required on this job, I cut about an hour off my previous time.

The interesting about this particular U3 is that somebody had already replaced some of the cords--but only on the notes with no dampers.  Somebody obviously found the breaking cord problem, but wanted to sell the piano with a minimum of expense.  All the other notes would function to some degree without the hammer return spring, but without the push of the damper spring, the end keys would have a helluva time returning to position.  Pretty shoddy.

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net