absolute pitch

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 27 15:17:40 MST 2007

There is a hearing distortion called diplacusis binauralis which can be caused by an ear infection.  The ears become "out of tune" with each other!  I contracted this condition through an ear infection a few years ago. At it's worst a tuning fork sounded about 50 cents higher in my left ear than in my right.
But there's more fun to be had: additionally my hearing became "inharmonic."  The partials of a note did not resolve into a single sound.  Middle C sounded like a hum at C4, out of tune violin and clarinet at C5 and G5, and a bunch of little jingle bells above that.  Nothing sounded musically correct, but in a bizarre way tuning became easier because beats were more "exposed."  It gradually resolved over a few months.
Another technician who had this condition informs me that once it happens, it recurs easily and becomes more severe.
Lesson:  Talk to your doctor or clinic, let them know you need your hearing and make arrangements to get antibiotics if you develop an ear infection over a holiday weekend!!!
Ed Sutton