database

West Britt BrittSam at charter.net
Sat Jan 27 21:03:18 MST 2007

Hi list,
     Like Michael Musiel I too use Filemaker Pro 8.5 on a MacBook
that I carry into the customers home with me.  I also purchased a
program called SafariGuide that runs inside of FileMaker and makes it
unbelievably efficient to keep track of almost my entire business.
    It holds my complete customer database.  When I answer a call I
do a quick search for the customer with the first two letters of the
last name,  if I don't find them I enter their name as we talk.  I
either open up with one click a new activity for this person and jot
down relevant info.  A timer keeps track of time.  I can set a TO-DO
list item out of this or go straight to an ORDER.  If they want a
tuning or service right then in real time I select the correct item
in pull down menus I made for my usual spiel as I ask what kind of
piano, model, all notes work, need tuning etc.  This way at the apt.
I have it on the ticket to print or not as I see fit, and to remind
me of what I need to do.  I select tuning out of a pull down menu
that auto fills my price or whatever they need.  After booking the
apt.  I hang up, and if I'm online, click the map icon beside the
customer address and it goes to Yahoo maps and shows me the
location.  I drag the map into a box in the customers file if
needed.  There is also a box for a photo of the piano.  I click the
ticket once to put it into the system and set it as Work In Process.
    At the tuning I fill any additional charges or service items onto
their ORDER.  If I add any inventory parts or merchandise it
automatically enters my pre determined price with my markup and
deducts the item from my inventory.  If my inventory gets below my
preset threshold I am prompted to email an Purchase Order  straight
to my preferred vendor for that item or send a mass PO if I need many
things.  This is easier with Pianotek than others.  All of my
merchandise and inventory is in the system and in a click or two can
see what it cost me, the price I charge, which suppliers I buy from
(and compare prices) and how many I have in stock.
    When they pay me at the tuning I ask if I can email the invoice
that night or if they would like me to write a paper copy for them.
Athens, GA, where I live has a free wireless cloud over the city so I
can frequently email it from the piano bench.  I no longer need to
write paper tickets or keep up with them.  I do, however, carry some
in case the customer prefers one.  Most just let me email.  I ask if
I can book the next apt. or email a 6 or 12 month reminder and auto
set SafariGuide to prompt me at that time to send it.  I enter the
check number and amount on their order and enter it.  If paid in full
the ticket is closed and the ORDER is written to that person or
Business' LEDGER with one click, and when I view all of my tickets, I
can easily see who has paid, what is in process and what is on
account, and have totals for each at the bottom of the screen.
    SafariGuide manages shop projects, employee hours, any and all
communications with clients; phone, letter, email, proposals,
appraisals etc. and saves them to each customer's data set.  Tax can
be set up to autofill for each different city or item as needed.  I
love this program!   I also have to tell you that I in no way work
with or for them.  I just like the product.  Check it out at: http://
www.safariguidesoftware.com/  if you are considering using software
to manage customer databases.

      Britt West, RPT