absolute pitch

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sun Jan 28 01:10:19 MST 2007

absolute pitch
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
[mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org]On Behalf Of Alan R. Barnard
  Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 11:56 AM
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Subject: RE: absolute pitch

  Two more things I've witnessed:

  A young man, who's father was a well-known MB Baptist gospel
singer, has a remarkable ear. You can play any chord, in any
inversion, with any color (7ths, 9ths, 11ths ...) and he will
identify the chord by name and spell for you the exact notes you
played.

  Well, even I can do that.  I think lots of musicians can.

  I had a conservatory trained pianist (earning his living as a
math teacher) as a client before he moved. Once we were
discussing the finer points of tuning and historical
temperaments--he was well-versed in both--while I was tuning. In
tuning a string somewhere in the middle of the piano, we could
hear a high ringing harmonic that was quite prominent. He said:
"You've got a stray F# there. Sure enough it was like the
seventh partial, or something, of the note I was tuning and was,
indeed, an F#7. I just stared at him till he said: "It's a curse
for a pianist."

  That's not so special.  I can do that also.  I don't think
it's that rare.  But to tell if it's x number of cents flat or
sharp would be rare.

  --David Nereson, RPT

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, MO