aftertouch / hammer striking distance

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sun Jan 28 02:47:03 MST 2007

Hello list.

For what it is worth, here is my method of regulating action.  Hope it will
raise comments.

I start from standard specifications, with all the friction issues resolved,
and with a blow distance that works everywhere.
I give special care at the exact spring tension, so the whippen barely but
fully lifts the hammer.  Any rebound of the hammer is carefully avoided.
Then, I minimize the drop this way : I lift the dampers, I play the note,
release pressure on the key in order to lift the hammer, then I press very
hard again on the key to achieve the maximum upward movement of the hammer.
If the hammer then is distant from the string, I reduce the drop.  If I
reduced too much, eventually, the hammer comes in contact with the string,
indicating that I went too far, and I go back just a tiny bit.
Then, I fine tune the let off this way : I lift the dampers and depress very
slowly the key until I feel that the jack hits it's let off button, and the
key stops in this place.  Then, I add the absolute minimal pressure on the
key in order to go through the let off (this is the pianists absolute
pianissimo blow).  If I hear no sound from the string, I regulate the letoff
higher.  Eventually, the absolute pianissimo will produce a sound from the
string, but at this level, the hammer will wobble a tiny bit on a normal
piano blow.  So, from this point, I take my regulating tool in one hand and
play the note with my other hand, with the dampers still lift, and playing
piano, and I turn the let off button until I get an absolutely clear touch.
This is very obvious, as until then you feel a kind of double shock in the
bottom of the key, corresponding to the jack to knuckle wobbling and the
bottom of dip.
When this is done, I redo with dampers lift the slow key motion until the
jack hits the let off button, make a stop there, and then press normally the
key through the let off process, concentrating now on the distance of
aftertouch, which is easy to compare by feel with the neighbouring notes.
Here comes the time I add or subtract punching papers to equalize the touch
feel, and maybe, in last resort, change the blow distance if I'm completely
out with the dip.
Then I minimize the hammer check distance.  I like the hammers to check as
high as possible, but still allowing for the drop to happen.  Usually, at
this place, there is a feeling of hard landing in the key.  If really
ennoying, I go back a bit.

This process is a bit lengthy, but the action then repeats like a machine
gun, and allows the best pianississimo playing possible (by far better than
with the standard regulation), which I happen to like very much.  My piano
teacher used to say : if you want to make a passage really loud, simply play
the other passages quieter.  So, in some way, this pianississimo regulation
can increase drastically the feel of power, or at least the extreme dynamics
ratio.
The touch feel is a bit harder than with the standard regulating, and the
regulation needs quicker to be touched up, but the playing possibilities are
so agreable...

As I said, comments heartly welcome.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.