rookie question; Setting bLow distance

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 28 15:17:39 MST 2007

Blow distance is the first thing to do on an upright. If the rest rail felt is shot or deeply grooved by the shanks, replace it. It's a cheap and easy repair.
Set blow and go through the steps from there.
If the distance is not right, nothing else will work well.
If you don't have a spec for this, set it at 1 3/4" then -- always -- fully regulate a handful of keys in octave 4 and a few in the bass and treble when you have those working. If you can't set a dip of around 3/8 inch that works well and feels good or if the key height is really funky, you can revisit blow. Some uprights need a little more, try 1 7/8". Regulate your test keys.
When all is well, put the rest of the piano together.
Someone (I think Randy Potter) said: "Incorrect blow distance is the beginning of all regulation problems" or words to that effect.
Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
Joshua 24:15