Who can help me?

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Mon Jan 29 10:32:15 MST 2007

In a message dated 1/29/2007 5:21:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com writes:
I have a customer with a 1920's Steinway A, and the lock bar screws are loose
- I need to put in slightly larger screws because the holes are a bit
enlarged. I wrote down the dimensions of the existing screws the last time I tuned
the piano, but lost the information -- I think they're somewhere around 2 1/2
inches long. Does anyone know how long the screws are and their diameter?
Jesse,

Don't use bigger screws, or toothpicks. The screws will need to withstand the
same forces they didn't withstand the first time. The lid is thin enough that
the threads don't have much purchase in it. If they are allowed to get loose,
the bending of the lid will yank on them, and they're not biting into much.
Therefore, the best way is to PLUG the hole. Not with dowels, toothpicks,
veneer, leather, or the anything with grain running longways, but with real plugs
(cross grain), which you can easily make yourself with a plug cutter. Drill for
the plug, insert with good wood glue, allow to dry, and re-pilot for the
screw.

Bob Davis