New Scale/Scale Stick

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Jan 30 01:14:01 MST 2007

Hi Joe

Thanks. Let me see if I understand you right. You are saying to compare
the old scale lengths with the new, determine the ratio of the
difference between each, and offset the hammers accordingly ? I suppose
one takes the existing strike point on the strings and duplicate that in
terms of the ratio of the string length to striking point on the new
strings ?

Looks to me like the most significant change will be in the higher
treble. I'm looking at two alternatives before placing and notching the
new bridge.  The top string A85 was 48 mm long.  A very short scale to
say the least. One scenario has that going to 54 mm and the lowest bass
string increasing 3 mm in length so as to make possible as smooth a
transition from the longer (new) high treble to the tenor section.  The
other is a much more moderate change keeping the tenor and most of the
treble lengths the same, but increasing the top octave lengths a
little... with A85 going up to 50.5.  In both cases tho it would seem to
me that any change in striking point would be most significant in the
high treble... yes ?

The former of these two alternatives was designed by a fellow who uses a
completely different scale program then I've seen before. It uses a
parameter called "Harmonicity" (as opposed to inharmonicity). As I
understand it is a parameter that uses an idealized inharmonicity curve
as a base line and graphs how far off this idealized line the scales
actual inharmonicity is.  The idealized inharmonicity is based on the
scale length as a whole in some fashion I couldnt quite discern.  I'd be
curious to hear thoughts or of others experiences with this parameter in
scaleing design

Thanks Joe

Cheers
RicB

        RicB said: "Hi Folks.

        I have a question to put to you all. When one decides to change the
        string lengths as part of a rescaling endeavor, how does one
        account for
        the need to re-figure the striking point for the hammers ? On the
        surface of it a very modest change in lengths would not seem to
        require
        much in the way of changing the strike line.... at least in the
        bass,
        but how exactly does one proceed ?"

        Thanks

    Ric,
    I'd check to see what the the "ratio" for the original string
    lengths were and off-set the new hammer lines to that ratio. I
    assume most of the new lengths are in the lower end of the piano, so
    there should be sufficient room to re-establish a new hammer line to
    the "designed" "ratio". Of course, if you did something really
    radical, then all bets are off. In that case a lot of compromising
    would take precedence.<G>
    Regards,

    Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
    Captain of the Tool Police