Very interesting question--

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 30 08:29:39 MST 2007

IMHO, a piano will continue to go more and more flat with time - until the strings have no (or nearly no) tension on them at all.

I've tuned a few piano where the customer knew for sure that the piano had never been tuned (they bought it new) - I think the oldest ones like that I've seen were 50-some years old - and they were two to three half-steps flat.

I did tune a piano a few years back that was located in the living room of a Civil War-era farmhouse. The State of Florida was developing the site into a working Civil War-era farm/park. They had documentation that the house had been vacant since the 1880s. I don't remember the manufacture of the piano (some off-brand), but it was built around 1870 (looked it up in Pierce). So presumably, it had not been tuned in 120+ years. It was five to six half-steps flat. I brought it up to a full step flat - one of very few pianos I have left flat.

Terry Farrell