Mass coeficient.. was Calculating Strike Point

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Jan 31 03:01:01 MST 2007

Hi Joe

The two variants I'm looking at were calculated by two different
scalers, both taking into account for Pure Sound density.... but using
unfamiliar formulas for scaling programs.  The one is just a program
that is no longer available (the one that uses the Harmonicity
parameter), and the other by a fellow recommended by Pure Sound.

I'm putting the numbers in the spreadsheet type that comes down from the
Calculating Technician.  Reading both the articles and the accompanying
documentation, there is no explanation as to where this figure is to go
into the formula, or how it is to be translated to whatever measuring
units are to be used.

Take the Tension formula for example... in the T= ( fLd / K)^2 * (1+
A(D^2/d^2)-1).  A is the value for wrap (no explanation given anywhere I
can find as to how this is ascertained or what exactly it represents in
terms of measuring units.... its just a number given)  K is even less
clear... it is defined as just a constant with no reference at all to
what it stands for, let alone how to ascertain it.

One is tempted without further ado to conclude that K is the mass
coeficient... but how does one make sure its in the right units ?

Taking the other form for T Rhodes gives in his execution of Roberts
formulas you have  T =  2(m/6)^2 *(Ld / 7.69)^2 * (1+A(D^2/d^2) -1)

Here K is necessarilly manipulated so as to facilitate a different way
of dealing with the frequency parameter...  and its corresponding number
is 7.69  Again no explanation is given so I dont know whether or not
this is average density of the wire.  And if it is... well then Juan
gives 7.85... not 7.69

So... if you know just where the average density parameter figures into
this and the other formulas given by Roberts in the Calculating
Technician... I'd realllllly like to know :)

Cheers
RicB

    This formula is based on modern piano wire, average density 7,85.
    These data are all hidden within the number: 2514.
    For Pure Sound wire this number is : 2530. (average density: 7,90)
    For Malcolm Rose's wire the number is : 2488. (average density:
    7,769)"

    Ric,
    I read through all of that and finally got to the 2nd from the
    bottom line- - -Voila': it reads average density 7.90!! That's the
    mass coefficient and has to be plugged into the scaling formula to
    get a better picture of what that stuff is all about and how it will
    react in regards to tension and Inharmonicity and Impedance! If you
    didn't do that then whatever you are planning on this piano needs to
    be re-calced, IMO.<G>  :-(
    Best Regards,

    Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
    Captain of the Tool Police