Semi-"blind" PR

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 07:56:44 MDT 2007

 I use a technique
for pitch raising that incorporates only one rubber mute. With Tunelab,
it is pretty quick, enabling me to get a fairly accurate pitch raise in
15 minutes.? With a 60+ cent PR, I just count on doing 3 pass tunings, though sometimes I get lucky.

Here's how it goes:

Set the overpull
percentage. I often use the standard 25% preset percentage, but on
older pianos I will go between 10-15% overpull because the elasticity
of the strings has decreased over time(not to mention fear of string
breakage....:-)).

I work my way up the keyboard one note at a time from bass to treble.

Tune the low bass (no mutes)

Tune
the bicords using no mutes. I watch the display on Tunelab to get the
spike as close as possible to the desired pitch on the first string,
then match the pitch of the second string to the first by ear.

In
the wires, I mute the last string to be tuned, then use the same
technique of pulling the first string up using the visual display,
matching the second to that by ear, then move the mute to the next set
of strings and tune the final string of the unison.

After a few notes, I can do it mostly by feel and sound, only occasionally glancing at the display.

It may not be as fast as a no mute technique, but for me it is far more accurate.

Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net