Birdcage pitch raise

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Jul 5 19:31:25 MDT 2007

Another fine example of English cheapo piano pinblock "design".

I first tuned this something over a year ago. It had been bought for the
couple's child by Grandad, and was 400 cents low, yes a major third.  At
that pitch, it really was unplayable, sounding glassy and dreadful. I
siuggested to the couple that if we were going to raise the pitch, it might
as well be to A440, as at least two tunings would be involved anyway.  I
raised it to A440 and it seemed OK.  Last week they had me back.  It had
sunk, very evenly, to 70 cents flat, where, I suggested, we should just keep
it. I tuned it at that pitch and it's OK.  The funny thing is, the action is
quite nice and even, except for some hammer bounce caused by very worn
balance hammer leather.  We agreed that if the kid sticks at piano for
another six months or a year, then it will be time to get him something
better.

But in the first instance, what would you have done folks? Refused to tune
the old thing and tell them to get another?  I did weigh up that option.
But in the end, it came up to pitch with  nothing drastic happening, and
they've had over a year's learning out of it.

Regards,

David.