Odd bass bridge

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Jul 6 19:26:31 MDT 2007

So how did it sound?

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of David Boyce
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 3:20 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Odd bass bridge

I tuned an upright today with a bass bridge feature I'd not seen before.  It
makes contact with the soundboard only at the two ends, as you can see in
the picture.  The blocks are about 2 1/2" long, and the right-hand one has a
tail that goes under the frame, and which I foolishly missed out of the
photo.  The whole of the rest of the bridge floats about half an inch above
the soundboard.  I wonder what the theory was - perhaps the two ends are
supposed to be on special nodes in the soundbard or something?

David.