Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.

Absolute Piano absolutepiano at comcast.net
Sun Jul 8 07:01:49 MDT 2007

Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.Terry: DW is nice - right where one would want it. UW is high - but is that bad? Does the key ever return too fast for a pianist? But why is it so high? I know that you don't get something for no price. Doesn't that suggest that the action is suffering somewhere else?

Jon: UW is high because Friction is low, that's a good thing = fast repetition

I think you're right Terry and the low frictrion is the symptom. We tend to think "friction-bad" but pianists need a certain amount to feel in control. How is your pinning on your sample parts? One place where there is typically too little friction is in the balancier which will cause the repitition to be slower than if the friction were in the higher side of its range say 5g.

Yay! One more variable, round and round we go~!

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545