Tuning sequence question

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sun Jul 8 22:55:52 MDT 2007

Jim --

I have been tuning unisons in this open string fashion for the last couple
of years. I find that I achieve much cleaner and consistent unisons this way
as it forces me to get the second string right before I can move on to the
third. If the first two strings have any beat in them whatsoever then it's
pretty impossible to set the third string correctly. I like it.

The reason for my question is, having taken my tuning exam I now want to
spend some time actually getting proficient at aural tuning. Get my speed
up, ya know? With an ETD the process is so efficient that I just wanted to
find out how much of that efficiency can be carried over into aural tuning.
The method you describe sounds like a good approach. I think I'll give it a
try.

Thanks --

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Los Angeles