Here comes the pitch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 9 13:54:00 MDT 2007

Mid morning, I tuned (at) a Wurlitzer spinet, with a half-to
three quarter semitone pitch raise. No surprise there, but I
got to looking at the printing on the keys inside and noted
the last two times it was tuned. On 9/27/97, it was "tuned @
1/8 low", it said. I wondered why such a moderate pitch raise
wasn't done with the tuning. Then on 10/21/2000, it was "R to
A435", according to the next key. Again, why wasn't it brought
up to pitch? I looked it over, and found no indication that it
wasn't structurally sound enough to bring up, so I did, and
tuned (at) it at pitch.

A stop on the way back for lunch, to look over a Kimball
console they wanted to sell, found a piano in not bad shape,
and over a semitone low. Again, the keys indicated that the
same guy had tuned it in 1998, and left it over a half
semitone low.

I find this guy's name in low pitched pianos all around, and
he seems pathologically reluctant to pull anything at all up
to pitch. I don't get it. A piano that got 50 cents low
naturally is so uneven that it won't tune in one pass at any
pitch  even if the center is left at it's approximate pitch,
so why not make two full passes and pull the bloody thing up
where it at least has a chance of ending up where it's
supposed to be? The owners of these two pianos paid this guy
to tune their pianos and he didn't even make an attempt. Many
times, I've explained the need for a big pitch raise to an
incredulous first time customer who can't understand the need
because the piano was just tuned a year or two ago. "Why
didn't the last tuner do that"?  Why indeed?

Off to tune one of my redesigns. This ought to feel like a
vacation.

Ron N