Setting Dip on the Bench

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 12:43:13 MDT 2007

Back to my other inquiry.  10 mm dip measured where  & how?  It matters
obviously ie. 10 mm at the pin is different than at  the key front.
    Yamaha does this at the front of the key with a  Metric ruler, Steinway
with dip blocks.
  Dale

My typical method is  using the inserted punching (.030) and set dip until
the jack just escapes  with light pressure in the piano.  Then I measure to see
what the dip  is.  If it’s too shallow or too deep I adjust the blow (within
reason)  until the dip regulates where I want it—(10 mm is my dip of choice).  I
’ll go to .040 aftertouch if I have to for a compromise but I prefer  .030.
I do that after all other regulation is done (except  backchecks).   I find I
need to do this at eye level at the  keybed.  All other methods are simply
roughing it in.  I’ve tried  the other methods you mentioned but none are precise
enough.  I would  like to have a method of transferring the set up on the
keybed to the bench so  that the dip is precisely duplicated.  But like Ed
mentioned, this may be  a pipe dream.  I’ve tried various methods of rebedding the
keyframe on  the bench but none quite do the trick.  Some get  close but I
still have to check it in the piano.  I was hoping I was  missing some foolproof
method however I think that inherent differences in the  keybed level and the
bench will always produce different results.  I’m  hoping to be proven wrong.

David  Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com