Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 12 16:36:25 MDT 2007

The following is a short followup to recent posts I have made regarding balancing an action from an 1890s Knabe grand. Thanks to many on the List for their help and suggestions. Special thanks to Jon Page and David Love for their lengthy reponses and detailed anayses. I know I'd still be scratching my head with a crap action without them - instead I'm scratching my head wondering "how'd that happen?" with a very nicely performing action.

Using their recommendations I finally got my first key (middle C) to work out to "desirable" numbers. Then I got the sharp next to it to work also - fortunately the capstan location I had chosen previously worked well for the sharp (the sharp and natural capstans are offset a few millimeters). Then I went down to note 4 and set it up according to the Stanwood charts for FW and SW, etc (I used 0.645 x FW maximums). Set it all up, regulated it fully and placed the gram weights on it - 50g DW, 25g UW, 37.5g BW, regulates perfectly, 10 mm dip - just too good to be true. Go up to note 78 (or so) and do the same thing - 48g DW, 26g UW, 37g BW, regulates perfectly, 10 mm dip - again, just too good to be true. These Stanwood charts and tables work like a charm. Basically, once you figure out
how to set one natural and one sharp up efficiently (the HARD part - and the part that still has me scratching my head), the rest is a piece of cake.

Quite the system. Thanks again fellow Listees.

Now just gotta do all this leading and repining and lots of other stuff 84 more times!

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano