Chickering Grand Features

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 23:09:36 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/13/2007 4:40:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com writes:

I inspected a 1902 Chickering grand the other day - about 6'6" or so. It
recently had a "complete belly job" and new action parts at Amadeus Piano in NJ.
_http://amadeuspianos.com/projecta.htm_
(http://amadeuspianos.com/projecta.htm)
Terry, how was the action? Those wippens from that age can be bears - nothing
modern fits. I had to make a couple of jacks and repetition levers to replace
the mouse-chewed ones on a Chickering which I think was from about 1890.
Quite a pain, so don't tell me if there was something I could have bought.

I was slightly puzzled/mildly amused at Amadeus's choice of a left-handed
piano to represent their business (top left picture of the site; the lid appears
to open on the bass side. I suppose it's like Paul McCartney's left-handed
guitar).

And here's something I didn't know -

Antique wood carries sound much better, and lasts longer because of the 50-80
year aging process, unavailable today.  The quality of metalwork for steel
and copper-wound strings, in contrast, is much better today than it used to be
100 years ago.  That's why restored antique pianos sound so much better than
new pianos and last far longer.
Bob D.