How CA started...

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 07:20:00 MDT 2007

Ed Dryburgh RPT aka Dryburgh Adhesive has been marketing CA glue to the
piano technicians community for a very long time (I'm guessing 20 years or
so). While demoing the usage of CA for quick fixes in the field (shank
repair, keytops, veneer repair, etc.) he would through in the suggestion
that he had on occasion, while struggling to "put a tuning on" an older
"junk piano", used CA on a zero torque tuning pin with amazing results. Of
course many of us were dubious but in a few years folks were applying CA to
the entire pinblock.I'd just like to add to the testimonials that there are
precautions which should be taken with CA glue. You can glue your own flesh
to anything! A bottle of acetone within reach is a necessity! The fumes can
be quite irritating to your lungs, nostrils, probably your liver too. Some
folks don't seem bothered by them, others have extreme allergic reactions to
the fumes. Proper ventilation is important.
End of my "be careful" rant!
Patrick