gluing in the new board

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 09:08:40 MDT 2007

Gene
  I've removed 1 compression frowners failed board & Yes it  was  glued in
with epoxy. It must be powered off.  In this case the  only tool to git er done
quickly was a makita 1 inch hand held belt sander with  60 grit,  Wear a
mask..the dust is toxic.
  . Epoxy won't scrape off,burn off or chisel off. I've glued in  dozens of
boards with cold hide glue no problem,.
   My current favorite is Bolduc glue but it takes 2 people to  get the glue
on quickly. Tight bond extend as Jude & others mentioned is  also good but the
Bolduc is less thermo plastic than the other aliphatic resin  glues mentioned
& I do think a hard rim to soundboard  joint is a  good thing. After the
clamps come off there is a powerful boom which means the  glue is probably 90% set
up.  WIth hide glue or tight bond it takes  about 3 days..so what & check the
date on the  bottle. GEt fresh  stuff.
  regards
  Dale

Ok - no  epoxy.
The Garrett Wade Slo-Set - aliphatic resin glue is white - not even  close to
yellow. Looks like PVC_E. Does the color make a  difference?
For slo set I think it would be wise to switch to a more  familiar Titebond
as you and Terry have experience.
Thank you for the  clamping sequence tips, had not considered that.
Gene