Chickering Grand Features/old vs. new wood

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 15:05:10 MDT 2007

I know some dedicated, experienced rebuilders who will
have nothing to do with this list, specifically
because of the mockery they would endure; citing you.
One has re-crowned dozens of boards, starting off
flat, and ending up with as much as a half inch crown.
He claims,  and I believe him, that they produce a
warm, rich, wonderful sound. I am learning to emulate
his techniques, but feel no need to share them: for
the ridicule you would heap on me.
     I heard wonderful things about your piano at the
Rebuilder's Gallery, and have no doubt that you are a
master at building new boards. Congratulations.
     Now, if you would please show as much bigness of
character as the bigness of sound your instruments
allegedly produce, and stop ridiculing those who seek,
for whatever reasons, other solutions, I would
consider you a far more successful human being.

     Which is vastly more important.

     Peace,
     Gordon