string length v hammer hardness

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Mon Jul 16 16:52:33 MDT 2007

I recently came across the statement that the relatively greater stiffness
of a bass string in a baby grand (as compared to the same note in a bigger
grand or upright) results in fewer higher partials (again, as compared to a
bigger piano).

Would harder hammers help?  Would harder hammers produce more higher
partials in that stiff string?  Or is that string simply not capable of
producing those partials?

I think I'm also trying to ask whether there's a difference in the way that
string characteristics and hammer characteristics affect the production of
various partials... although I don't really know how to frame the question.
(Or whether it should be framed, for that matter. <g>)

Thanks, as always!

Annie Grieshop