Tool quality

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Tue Jul 17 00:35:43 MDT 2007

I’ve been harping about this for years, but no one else seems to
have any problem with our illustrious large supply house.  I
miss the days when there was some competition between Tuner’s
Supply, Ford Piano Supply, APSCO, Pacific Piano Supply, and
Schaff, but now Schaff dominates, with Pianotek selling a
smaller variety, more expensive, but higher quality stuff, and
the other “houses” having fairly limited catalogs.
            With some tools, you have no choice; you just have
to buy the only one available, then alter it yourself or have a
machinist, jeweler, welder, or blacksmith make it better so it
won’t break the first time you use it.  Or look for sales of
tools by retiring technicians who may have some older, better
quality stuff.
            I wonder if the situation is the same in Europe?
The Germans are known, at least in the past, for making
high-quality tools.  Surely they don’t all buy American (read
Taiwanese) stuff.
            I’ve annealed and re-shaped many of my tools, then
had a welder, jeweler, or blacksmith re-temper them, since I’m
not always sure I have a hot enough torch, and can’t always
determine the proper shade of straw yellow at which to quench
it, and don’t always know whether to quench in water or oil, or
just to let cool in the air...depends on the particular alloy, I
believe.
            Complaining to Schaff does no good.  They don’t
care.  Same with quality of bushing cloth, key buttons, action
parts, and so-called “duplication” service (of bass bridges,
etc.).
            Get all the smaller catalogs by the small suppliers
listed in the PTG Directory: Mazzaglia Tools, Mother Goose
Tools, Spurlock, Coleman, etc.
            --David Nereson, RPT