gluing in the new board

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Tue Jul 17 10:15:47 MDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 9:32 PM
Subject: Re: gluing in the new board

>> I also do it alone and it's not that hard.  After the board is fitted to
>> the
>> rim I screw it down around the perimeter enough so that I can drop the
>> plate
>> in and out and fit the bridges.  I use largish washers between the head
>> of
>> the screw and the SB to protect the board.  Those screw holes not only
>> work
>> as a nice way to index the board back in, but with an electric screw
>> driver
>> you can set the board down very quickly without having to mess with the
>> clamps.  As Ron mentioned, once the board is down on the glue you have a
>> fair amount of time to work around with the clamps and blocks.

Only have been using drywall screws counter sunk in board. Will try to
modify so I can use washers.

>> David Love
>
> I drill two tooling locater holes through the plate, soundboard, and into
> the rim when I locate the bridges from the plate. The soundboard, bridges
> installed, is located with the pins when it's glued in, and the same pin
> locations position the plate later.
> Ron N
Have not used tooling holes. The comming delema is that the mylar patterns
locating plate to bridges will be lost when bridge pins are installed and
bridge is glued onto the board, also - after the board is glued in - the
plate to case locaters may be unreliable. Have been taught to wait till late
in this process to epoxy in the pin block giving some capability of fine
adjustment if needed. Two tooling holes as you describe could easily be the
solution.
Gene