Lacquer versus varnish on Steinways

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 18 18:08:03 MDT 2007

BobDavis88 at aol.com wrote:      We do refinishing, and start seeing lacquer in the mid twenties. I can't remember offhand when varnish replaced shellac, but I think it was in the late 1890's or early '90's. Don't quote me on that.

  Bob Davis

  I concur with Bob, with the same caveat.  Certainly, I have not seen varnish on practically ANY piano manufactured after 1930, and I have stripped countless pianos from that period.  Also, I don't believe I have ever encountered shellac on pianos post-1890 or so.

  Talking original finish, of course...

  Mark Potter