wurly juice

Mike Kurta mkurta at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 19 20:28:51 MDT 2007

       I'm not sure whose formula was whose, but this naptha/silicone recipe
was taken from the Baldwin service manual.  Anyway, you can retrieve
silicone from a spray can like this:  Invert the can and exhaust all the gas
but retain the fluid.  You won't be able to get every bit of the pressure
out of the can, so set the can right side up, and punch a small hole in the
dome to let all the gas escape completely.  Cut the top off the can and
drain.  Some brands will come out in a liquid form, some a semi-liquid.  It
is also available by the gallon from Clearco Products Co. (215) 639-2640.
www.clearcoproducts.com
    Then mix 1 part silicone to 7 parts naptha.  Any naptha will do, VM&P is
a designation meaning Varnish Makers & Painters but its not required.  Any
paint, hardware or home center will carry it in quarts and some have
gallons.
CAUTION!  Naptha is extremely flammable, handle with care.  I'm not sure if
Baldwin still sells it, you might try camping supply stores as it is used
for waterproofing gear.
    Mike Kurta