Extreme measure? was RE: Pricing Pinblock Treatments

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Thu Jul 19 20:27:30 MDT 2007

>>I would only create a liability for myself in return for nothing, and
there is no percentage in that.

It's not in return for nothing, and the percentage is there if you price
accordingly. The warranty is a value added service. It's like buying a
warranty when you purchase a used car. The company that sells you the
warranty knows that it will loose money on a percentage of the warranties it
sells, but overall it makes money. It prices the warranty sufficiently high
that it will make money on the average, though on a specific car it might
loose money.

Customers like the assurance of a warranty, else the used car lots would
never sell any. As I said in a previous post, if everything goes south on a
specific piano I'll simply refund the money. The piano and the block are no
worse off (compromised?)- it wouldn't hold a tune before and it won't now
either. I'm worse off on that specific piano, but on the average I am making
money because I have priced accordingly. My price is sufficiently high,
based on my history of using this treatment, that I have a very good comfort
level that I am going to make more money. And my customer has a very good
comfort level that he is not spending money in vain.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802