CA -- going once, going twice, gone ...

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 22:29:23 MDT 2007

In my experience, CA does nothing to the block that prevents further action, e.g., restringing w/ larger pins, plugging, etc.

"Treated" is a good word, but "doped" sounds like Good Ol' Garfield's Goo, i.e., a marginal, questionable, messy, iffy, last-ditch, nearly hopeless attempt to save the piano. So I would not use the term "doped" in speaking of CA treatment. (Interesting Note: People have reported excellent results using CA on a previously "doped" piano!)

The bottom line is this: If the block is "compromised" by normal aging (tunings and seasonal cycling) then CA can be a genuine, lasting, and legitimate REPAIR, not an act of desperation or a "patch job".

The CA treatment, itself, does not constitute any sort of compromise to the block and does no damage.

I've never had it not work. Those few situations where techs have said it didn't work were due, I'd betcha, to internal crack-ups of the block or serious, unseen structural damage.

If the block is "compromised" with splits, cracks, or delaminations CA is certainly not going to fix it, though we may be into a realm where epoxy repairs that might work.

Again, CA is a legitimate repair for uprights, clunker grands, and any piano made by Crappola & Sons. It is NOT a rebuild or restoration technique for a fine grand.

I, like some others, choose to warrant the CA repair because I am such a firm believer in it, based on much experience. Granted this is a marketing ploy, only, but I feel no anxiety that the treated pianos I have out there will fail.

How about this: If the stuff had been introduced as an entirely new invention, rather than a quirky use for "Super Glue", maybe enthusiasm for it would have been greater from the beginning: How about "Patterson's Prodigiously Powerful Pinblock Performance Perker-upper".

Alan Barnard

Salem, MO

Okay, okay, YOU try 6-word alliterations this late at night!  : - }